Position: Machine Operator
Reports to: Production Supervisor
Sets up and operates automatic and semi-automatic numerically controlled machines according to open positions to cut, burn, shape, stamp, form, weld and mill work parts to specifications by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Follow all PSI rules and regulations
Review setup sheet, drawing and specifications to determine setup procedure and dimensions of finished workpiece
Align, position, secure and fit parts and panels at machine according to the setup instructions
Inspect, maintain and operate machines according to set procedures
Inspect, perform necessary repairs and report all quality issues to supervisor
Maintain written logs of daily operation as required
Maintain consumable on hand inventory as required
Measure and inspect workpiece for conformance to specifications and standards as required
Notifies supervisor of all machine discrepancies, issues and machine malfunctions
Adjusts machine control parameters according to specifications when automatic programming is faulty or machine malfunctions
Maintains machinery, equipment and a safe/clean work environment
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 2 to 4 years professional experience:
- Operating numerical controlled machines in machine shops or
- Programming automated machine systems in:
- Basic knowledge of machines and equipment
- Basic knowledge in the use of computers, programming, and automated production systems
- Basic knowledge of welding processes
- Understanding of engineered drawings and technical documents
- Knowledge of shipbuilding methods and equipment is a plus
- Knowledge of milling, burning, welding, forming, bending, or stamping depending upon position applied for
- Skilled to utilize typical tools necessary for the position
- Knowledge of work place safety
- Creativeness and proactive work habits
- Work execution independently according to valid instructions, rules and other standards
- Flexible cooperation with other team-members
Environmental exposures are similar to those found in most heavy industrial settings and may include noise, heat, cold, vibration, dust, fumes and smoke. Work may be carried on indoors or outdoors, and may involve exposure to inclement weather conditions.
*Philly Shipyard is a TOBACCO FREE facility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A range of motion sufficient to perform general lifting, carrying, bending, stooping, climbing, working at heights, extended kneeling, walking or standing, etc. is required. Employment in this position is contingent upon passing the medical examination. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time, safety-sensitive position. Standard days and hours of work vary by department, days and hours determined by department schedules.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Note: Not all applicants will be interviewed
All applications must be turned in to the Human Resources Department for consideration
Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment and training of employees during employment, shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate because of the disability of such individual.