REPORTS TO: Production Supervisor
Knowledge, skill and ability of fillet and groove welding in all positions, welding with and without ceramic backing, and repairing of welds. Knowledge and understanding of weld symbols, work shop drawings and efficient and safe use of welding equipment. Welding performance is subject to successfully passing all NDT requirements as set forth by classification society.
- Follow all PSI rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and proficiency of heavy shipyard construction welding in all positions using approved WPS (Welding Procedure Specification) determined by PSI and classification society
- Welding process includes:
- FCAW – Flux Core Arc Welding
- SMAC – Shielded Metal Arc Welding
- SAW – Submerged Arc Welding
- EGW – Electro Gas Welding
- Automated Welding Processes
- Stainless Steel Fillet Welding
- Padding and preparing weld joints per WPS
- Carbon Arc Gouging
- Note: Not inclusive, shall be determined by vessel specification and classification rules
- Knowledge, understanding and demonstration of interpreting approved WPS set forth at PSI.
- Knowledge and ability on how to use all tools related to welding, including basic trouble shooting and maintaining welding equipment to assure a safe and efficient operation.
- Welder must proficiently demonstrate welding ability through performance, and testing as determined by vessel project and classification.
- Welder must be able to work in a team environment.
- Welder shall perform internal quality checks of own work performance to assure quality standards are achieved daily.
- Welder shall maintain their individual NDT rejection set forth by PSI and classification society.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Work Independently according to valid instructions and PSI rules and standards.
- Flexible cooperation with team members.
- Must be able to work in different environments and areas (e.g. indoors, outdoors, in confined spaces, on scissor lifts and aerial lifts, and in inclement weather).
- Ability to orient, train and instruct lesser skilled welders.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Environmental exposures are similar to those found in most heavy industrial settings and may include noise, heat, cold, vibration, dust, fumes and smoke. Work may be carried on indoors or outdoors, and may involve exposure to inclement weather conditions.
*Philly Shipyard is a TOBACCO FREE facility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Employment in this position is contingent upon passing the medical examination. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time, safety sensitive position. Standard days and hours of work vary by department, days and hours determined by department schedules.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5 to 7 years’ work experience in shipbuilding, ship repair and/or heavy steel fabrication
- Welding robotics and programming a plus
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time or without notice.
NOTE: Not all applicants will be interviewed.
Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment, and training of employees during employment, shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate because of the disability of such individual.