Hull (Structural) Designer
Position: Hull (Structural) Designer
Reports to: Hull Design Manager
Individual will be responsible for basic design, production design, and field engineering activities as required by the department workload. The individual will interface with Planning, Procurement, other design departments, design subcontractors, and Production personnel as required to complete their assigned activities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ensure that all PSI safety procedures, rules and regulations are followed and met.
- Review structural arrangements using the Classification Society rules while considering shipyards construction restraints.
- Review and check basic design drawings and calculations to support ship classification and detail design activities.
- Develop production design work package documentation using Aveva Marine software, such as 3D model, workshop drawing, assembly drawings, panel line milling and cutting information for release to production.
- Interface with the Building Method planner, Transportation planner, and other design department engineers to ensure the Hull Design information includes information such the proper part destination, lifting back-up structure, and penetrations.
- Provide field engineering support as required to support production activities, blue mark inspections or responding to production questions developed throughout construction of the ship.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented
- Problem Solving
- Adaptability and Organizational skills and understanding
- Willingness and ability to work as a team member
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPEREIENCE
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in shipbuilding or steel construction
- Experience in ship structural design or equivalent structural experience
- Experience with 3D modeling software such as Tribon or Aveva Marine
- Proficiency with MS Office and 2D CAD systems such as AutoCAD
- Proficiency with metric system preferred
- Experience with American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Steel Vessel Rules and Welding standards
- Knowledge/experience concerning modern shipbuilding practices
- International experience or familiarity with European and/or Asian Shipbuilding Standards
Environmental exposures are similar to those found in most heavy industrial settings and may include noise, heat, cold, vibration, dust, fumes and smoke. Work may be carried on indoors or outdoors, and may involve exposure to inclement weather conditions.
*Philly Shipyard is a TOBACCO FREE facility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. A range of motion sufficient to perform general lifting, carrying, bending, stooping, climbing, working at heights, extended walking or standing, etc. is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time, safety-sensitive position. Standard days and hours of work vary by department, days and hours determined by department schedules.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment and training of employees during employment, shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate because of the disability of such individual.