Position: Project Buyer
Reports to: Procurement Manager
Purchase major equipment and/or services to support ship production and satisfy customer requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that all PSI safety procedures, rules and regulations are followed and met.
- Negotiate and manage domestic and overseas contracts with key suppliers including equipment, transportation, logistics, and services.
- Responsible for coordination with Design, Purchasing and Shipping Partner for smooth progress of project.
- Develop successful negotiation strategies for key overseas and domestic suppliers located in the NAFTA Region, Korea, Japan, China, Norway, and Germany.
- Develop successful negotiation strategies for purchase of services for ship production and plant operations.
- Keep up with Subcontracting plan and work with Turnkey Buyer and get update on all Turnkey contracts and provide status.
- Utilize SAP ERP system to support purchasing process.
- Work closely with Production and Engineering (where necessary) to insure that materials or services being ordered will fulfill all requirements.
- Review commitments and invoices and compare with contract agreement and compare to the budget/forecast on a regular basis and make updates as necessary.
- Forecast financial costs for all respective contracts.
- Submit routine progress reports to support ship build schedule.
- Maintain historical pricing database for respective contracts, materials, commodities, labor rates for future contract price trending.
- Travel approximately 20%.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Superior Negotiation skills with foreign suppliers(Korean/Chinese/Japanese/German)
- Proven track record of successful negotiations
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proven Leadership experience
- Willingness to take on new tasks and continue to learn
Responsibility to supervise other buyers and purchasing staff, if required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. or B.A. college degree with minimum Seven (7) years’ experience in procurement.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) is preferred.
- Superior and proven contract negotiation skills and experience with overseas suppliers in Korea, Japan, China, and Germany.
- Strong ability to function in a Team/Project Management Environment.
- Experience with purchase of ship and marine-related equipment a plus.
- Experience working in and leading cross-functional teams
- Experience in Government Contracting a plus.
- Background in Purchasing.
- Proficient in utilization of SAP ERP systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite software.
Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment and training of all employees during employment, shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate because of the disability of such individual.