Position: Assistant Controller
Reports To: Controller
The Assistant Controller is responsible for managing the daily operations of the accounting department, creating financial reporting, developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures and working collaboratively with various other departments to insure accurate and timely financial statements.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Manages the monthly close, including general ledger review & accruals, and all closing journal entries.
- Manages all day-to-day accounting processes and members of the accounting staff.
- Review and ensure all entries are coded correctly in GL.
- Maintains integrity of Balance Sheet and Income Statement.
- Prepares all monthly closing schedules.
- Drafting and reviewing accounting memos for proper recognition and presentation.
- Acts as a primary contact for various department managers.
- Provides accounting and financial reporting guidance to support business, functional and corporate needs.
- Analyzes, classifies, and reviews complex accounting transactions and interrelationships.
- Prepares interpretation of accounting results and advises management. Identifies complex accounting problems, researches solutions, and corrects problem.
- Examines financial statements and documents for conformance with accounting requirements and principles.
- Interfaces with external auditors and is responsible for facilitating completion of the audit in connection with the Company's financial reporting requirements.
- Reconciles fixed assets and various bank statements.
- Maintains records for operating and capital leases.
- Assist with the transition to government contract accounting, develop appropriate policies and procedures, and support ongoing monitoring of compliance.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Technical accounting strengths
- Flexibility to work in a lean management environment
- Strong communication, accounting and project management skills
- Strong quantitative, analytical and reporting skills including the ability to translate financial information to business consequences and solutions
- Leadership level communication and time management skills
- Strong demonstrated problem-solving skills with high attention to detail
- Hands-on, can-do attitude and highly responsible, self-motivated, and self-sufficient
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting required
- CPA certification
- 6+ years of accounting experience in a fast-paced environment, preferably experience with multi-year construction projects
- 6+ years of Public accounting experience
- DoD / Government Contracting experience preferred
- Solid knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS, Technical Accounting, and ability to research given topics
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Experience with SAP preferred
Philly Shipyard is committed to equal opportunity for all applicants. The recruitment, selection, employment and training of employees during employment, shall be without discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, gender or age-except that the applicant must meet the minimum age requirement. Philly Shipyard does not, and will not, discriminate because of the disability of such individual.